LINN RUN STATE PARK
LINN RUN STATE PARK
P.O. Box 50
Rector, Pennsylvania 15677
Toll Free: 888-727-2757
Linn Run State Park 'Adams Falls'
A picture of Adams Falls along the Adams Falls Trail
Linn Run State Park 'Linn Run Stream'
A picture looking up Linn Run Stream
The Adams Falls and Grove Run picnic areas have picnic tables, drinking water, playgrounds and restrooms. Adams Falls has a picnic pavilion that may be reserved up to 11 months in advance for a fee. Unreserved picnic pavilions are free on a first-come, first-served basis. Recycling is available in both picnic areas. Please help by disposing of your trash in proper receptacles.
Linn Run is in the heart of the Laurel Mountains. The mountainous land ranges from 1,300 feet to 2,800 feet above sea level. Most of the land was bought from the Byers and Allen Lumber Company for $42,662. When the Commonwealth acquired this land in 1909, it was the first major public purchase of denuded forest land in the Ohio River Basin. Today, it is difficult to visualize what this land looked like in 1909 or to imagine that some people questioned the wisdom of purchasing so much ?wasteland.?
About fifteen years prior to the acquisition of the Linn Run property, this entire area was clearcut. The old growth forest was transformed into an area devoid of timber and wildlife. Treetops littered the area. Saw logs were sold for lumber. Small logs were used for props in nearby coalmines. Hemlock bark, a source of tannin, was bundled and shipped to tanneries. The railroad that hauled timber and other products to market caused many severe wildfires.
In his first report (September 1909), Forester John R. Williams wrote, ?I should say that fully three-fifths of the reserve has been burned over since lumbering was done. The fires did great damage to the young growth. Some places are covered with nothing but ferns and blackberry bushes.? Occasional scars from those early fires can still be seen after years of forest rehabilitation.
In 1910, the newly formed Pennsylvania Game Commission cooperated with the former Department of Forestry to restock deer. White-tailed deer were imported from New York and Michigan for release throughout Pennsylvania.
Interesting traces remain of the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland and Somerset Railroad that serviced the area. The main line extended from Rector to Somerset. Because of heavy loads, the tracks switched back and forth across Linn Run several times. Along the Fish Run Trail in Forbes State Forest you will find traces of the old railroad bed.
The Laurel Mountain ski area, the first major ski resort in western Pennsylvania, was formerly owned and operated by General Richard K. Mellon. Started in 1939 as a private facility by Rolling Rock, it was opened to the public following World War II and became popularly known as the ?Ski Capital of Pennsylvania.? It served thousands of skiers from the Pittsburgh area. In September of 1963, General Mellon leased this tract of land and all its improvements to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In the summer of 1964, General Mellon gave the property to the Commonwealth.
Nine rustic cabins and one modern cabin are available for year-round rental. During the summer season, only weekly rentals are available. Rustic cabins have simple furnishings that include: benches, tables, beds, electric heaters, fireplace inserts for heating, electric stove and refrigerator. Rustic cabins are served by outside water spigots, rustic toilets, and a modern washhouse with showers and flush toilets. The modern cabin is fully accessible.
to this park:
Hiking: 6 miles of trails
Many of Linn Run?s hiking trails connect to many miles of trails in the Forbes State Forest.
Mountain bikes are NOT permitted on hiking trails.
Adams Falls Trail is a 1-mile loop that features a mountain waterfall tucked in among rhododendron and hemlock. This trail passes by large boulders and is very rocky.
Iscrupe Trail is a 0.75-mile trail that follows the original Linn Run Road and was used by early visitors to the Adams Falls Picnic Area.
Flat Rock Trail is a 0.5-mile trail that ends at a large, smooth rock in the stream Linn Run. Swimming is not permitted in this area. Please be cautious, the rocks are very slippery!
Grove Run Trail is a 4-mile loop that starts with a gentle slope behind the Grove Run picnic area and becomes progressively steeper. Part of this trail follows Grove Run.
For information on nearby attractions, contact: Laurel Highlands Visitors Bureau, 800-333-5661, www.laurelhighlands.org.
Forbes State Forest: The 60,000 acres of Forbes State Forest offers hiking, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and other outdoor recreation in a nearly wilderness setting. Adjacent to Linn Run State Park are about 25 miles of marked and maintained trials for cross-country skiing in winter or hiking in summer. Mountain biking is permitted on snowmobile trails during the summer season. Call Forbes State Forest or Linn Run State Park for a map. Mountain bikes are permitted only on designated trails. 724-238-1200.
Laurel Mountain State Park Ski Area: The 493-acre ski area is eight miles east of Ligonier or five miles west of Jennerstown on US 30, then turn south on Laurel Summit Road and travel for four miles.
Laurel Mt. Ski Area is run by a private concessionaire. Hours of operation vary. Please call before visiting the slopes. Contact: Laurel Mountain Ski Resort, P.O. Box 657, Ligonier, PA 15658, 877-SKI-LAUREL, www.skilaurelmountain.com.In an Emergency
127 W Main St
Mac's Sporting Goods & Hardware
127 W Main St
Laurel Hill Trout Fishing Pond
4360 Route 31
Hidden Valley Resort & Comm
1 Craighead Dr
Hidden Valley, PA
Seven Springs Mountain Resort
777 Water Wheel Dr
Laurel Highlands Lodge
212 Snyder Rd
Roaring Run Resort PS
RR 1 Box 531
Laurel Hill Trout Lodge
4360 Route 31
Lady of the Lake Bed & Breakfast
157 Route E 30
Barron's at the Springs
843 Blue Hole Rd
Roaring Run Resort
194 Tannery Rd
To reach the park from Ligonier, take US 30 east for two miles. At the intersection of PA 381, turn south for two miles. Turn left on Linn Run Road at the small town of Rector.